Learn best practice and gain a better understanding of what the Scratchpads can do for you and your research community
- Training session on FishBase and Fish Taxonomy - 7 April-26 June 2015, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Belgium: Intensive three-month course (in English) for 5 participants only. Five scholarships are offered to selected applicants from certain African countries.
- Training in taxonomy of tropical marine animals provided by the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute at the Bocas del Toro Research Station (Panama). Upcoming courses on larval invertebrates and on annelids.
- Marine biology courses and excursions on the Island of Elba, Italy
Search for a training course:
- Listing of upcoming international courses and workshops on a variety of topics, including phylogenetic methods, molecular evolution, genetic techniques, bioinformatics, genomics, etc.
- The Bioinformatics Training Network website is a centralized resource for the bioinformatics community to share training materials and techniques, to list training events (including course contents and trainers), to disseminate awareness and spark new discussions and initiatives. Now incorporated in GOBLET, the Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training.
Research Schools and Masters Programs:
- The Nordic Masters Program in Biodiversity and Systematics comprises a 2-year study curriculum providing you with the taxonomic skills needed to work on biodiversity and its conservation in the future. Most courses can be followed on distance by students, while for certain field or lab work the student needs to be physically at the Nordic university offering the course. In order to follow the entire program, the student must enroll at one of the nine partner universities and live in one of the Nordic countries for two years.
Swedish Taxonomy Initiative's Research School of Taxonomy and Systematics
Courses in taxonomy and systematics at Swedish universities and natural history museums
Research School in Biosystematics - ForBio
Practical and theoretical courses in biosystematics at Norwegian and Swedish research institutes
- International Course: Geometric Morphometic (26 - 30 January 2015, Centro de Ecología y Biodiversidad (CEBIO), Lima, Peru)
Entomology workshops hosted at the Southwestern Research Station (Arizona, U.S.A.)
ANTS OF THE SOUTHWEST, 26 July – 5 August 2014
LEPIDOPTERA COURSE, 14 – 23 August 2014
WEEVIL COURSE, 5 – 13 August 2014
II Neotropical Hymenoptera course (27 July - 6 August 2014, Villa Carmen Biological Station, Manu Biosphere Reserve, Peru) This course will provide students with skills to identify Neotropical Hymenoptera families and genera, and to properly process and curate specimens.
The following meeting might also be of interest to you:
8th International Congress of Hymenopterists Meeting (20-25 July 2014, Cusco, Peru)
HYM Course (17-23 August 2014, Eagle Hill Institute, Maine, U.S.A.)
Course on identifying parasitic and predatory wasps, sawflies, wood wasps, bees, and ants.
- 3rd International Marine Phytoplankton Identification Workshop (Plymouth, UK, 7 - 18 July 2014)
- Florida Association of Benthologists Fall 2013 Taxonomic workshop on Polychaetes part II: the Scolecida (13-15 November 2013, University of Tampa Marine Science Center, Tampa, Florida)
2014 Training session on FishBase and Fish Taxonomy (3 March 2014-23 May 2014, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Belgium)
Intensive three-month course (in French) for 5 participants only. Five scholarships are offered to selected applicants from certain African countries.
1st International Conservation Symposium-Workshop of Natural History Collections (18-21 September 2013, Barcelona, Spain)
Main purpose is to emphasize all those concepts related to protection and conservation of Natural History Collections.
BioVeL, a virtual laboratory for biodiversity research data, is offering two training workshops:
Introduction to workflows for taxonomic refinement, biogeographic analysis, and species distribution modelling (26-27 November 2013, Cardiff University, UK)
Building workflows with Taverna workbench (5-6 December 2013, Manchester, UK)
Neotropical Lepidoptera 2013 (7 - 16 August 2013, Jenaro Herrera Research Center Loreto, Peru)
International course on identification, classification, morphology, and biology of Lepidoptera associated with rainforest habitats.
- Training course in Biodiversity information (3-28/06/13, Royal Museum for Central Africa, Belgium)
Quantitative cladistics and use of TNT (3-7 June 2013, Barcelona, Spain)
Workshop on basics of parsimony analysis and character optimization, tree-searches, diagnosing and summarizing results efficiently, and measuring group supports.
- Plants of Tropical Asia – XTBG Field Botany Course 2013 (4 – 23 April 2013, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yunnan, China).
- 7th ALTER-Net Summer School (5–15 September 2012, Alpes de Haute-Provence, France)
- PIT Summer School (1-8 July 2012, Alpi Marittime Natural Park, Valdieri (CN), Italy)
- SYNTHESYS training Module 4: Basic collections techniques (Museum fuer Naturkunde Berlin, Germany, 28-30 November 2012)
- Africa Biodiversity Informatics training courses in Nairobi (February 2013)